Healthy Lunch Boxes
Please use the following Government guidelines for your packed lunch from home.
Acceptable foods are:
- One portion of fruit and one portion of vegetable or salad should be included in the packed lunch every day
- Meat, fish or another source of non-dairy protein should be included everyday. (Non-dairy sources of protein include lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, hummus, peanut butter and falafel
- An oily fish, such as salmon, should be included at least once every three weeks
- A starchy food, such as bread or pasta, rice, couscous, noodles, potatoes or other cereals, should be included everyday
- A dairy food, such as semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, cheese, yoghurt, fromage frais or custard should be included every day. (Non-dairy equivalents are also acceptable e.g. soya milk/yoghurts)
- Free, fresh drinking water should be available at all times
- Low sugar yoghurt/milk drinks/ smoothies/fruit juice/bottled water are acceptable drinks
- Baked snack products such as baked crisps, rice cakes, low salt crackers and breadsticks are acceptable as additional snacks
Water only, in clear drinks bottles is allowed in the classroom (not squash or juice)
Unacceptable foods are:
- Any food which is high in salt, fat and sugar, e.g. crisps, cakes, chocolate, sweets, processed meat products
Fun Fridays- One treat item will be allowed on Fridays, such as:
- 2-3 Biscuits
- A small biscuit bar e.g. Twix, KitKat
- A slice of cake/cupcake/cake bar
- A dessert tub e.g. chocolate mousse/trifle
- A small or medium sausage roll
- Mini cocktail sausages/pepperoni stick
These are a few suggestions. Please keep the treat item to a modest size and avoid treats with excessive sugar/fat/salt contents.
Sweet and fizzy drinks are not permitted in school.